Daily Reads

Friday, July 31, 2009

"Fixing" health care

I was thinking about this topic this morning (surprise) and wondered: in all this rush to "fix" health care in the US, have any of those folks in Washington DC who are writing the bills actually studied the problem to find out not only what things aren't working for folks (costs are high, and not everyone has insurance which will cover all the unexpected stuff), but also what works?

We're told that 85% of Americans are pretty happy with how things are now. Have any policy makers actually talked to them to find out what they're happy with?

It's as if my current employer suddenly started getting surveys back saying 15% of our patients were unhappy, so the solution is obviously to raze the whole building to the ground, fire everyone, and start from scratch, with no real data as to what made the other 85% satisfied.

No comments: