Daily Reads

Saturday, March 23, 2013

School issues. One student down (maybe?) and one to go....

Elder Daughter started in her special program this week.  She goes into Central Office for two hours every day to work on a distance learning Biology class, which is also going to give her time to work on her two incompletes from the fall at her other school.

She does seem perkier, though how much of that is the new meds and how much is just having something to do outside the house on a regular basis I'm not sure.  I'm also not sure if I care much.

So on to dealing with Younger Daughter's issues.

It doesn't help that she's been genuinely sick most of the time since last November.  The school really doesn't want her in if she's running a fever or throwing up.  But she's lost over 50 days already, and we're only 3/4 of the way through the year.  So now she doesn't want to go to school at all since she's positive (probably correctly) that she'll have to repeat the year, so why bother?  Add in that all the classes "are boring except for math which is frustrating", and it's recipe for disaster.  She's also depressed.  I checked with her and found that she hasn't been in touch with any of her friends in over two weeks.  This is the girl who needed to have her cell pried from her hand and thank God I had the unlimited texting plan, or we'd be so past broke.  So I've made her an appointment with the therapist who is seeing her sister, but they don't have any new patient slots until May.  I've also got a call in to get her in to the psychiatrist, who may have openings sooner, and she'll  probably need to see them both anyway.

We're also going to see the regular doctor on Monday, because if we can get a piece of paper with even a tentative official diagnosis on it, the schools will have to do certain things and won't be able to do certain others.  And that may make my life easier, since I've already got them threatening me with the truancy officer.  I have an unfortunate suspicion that part of the problem is the family tendency to be way off to the far right of the IQ bell curve (Based on my GRE results, I could join the Triple Nine Society, and I'm probably average for my family) which makes a lot of stuff at normal grade level boring because it's too easy, and also by high school makes it much harder to make oneself spend time on things one has no interest in.

I need lots of money so I can find a good private or boarding school which works on interest and ability more than age/grade designations.

I guess I better go off and buy a few of those Powerball tickets for tonight.

No comments: