Daily Reads

Friday, December 14, 2012

Dear God....

This is less than a two hour drive from me.

26 Dead at Newtown CT Elementary School

I'll give NBC some credit, they don't seem to be counting the shooter in that number, since other outlets are reporting 27 including the primary shooter, though it seems there is possibly a second one.

And right on cue all the gun haters are out claiming that if we just banned guns this wouldn't have happened.  That the UK banned hand guns and hand gun crime has gone up steadily since then would suggest that it might not be too successful.

What would be much more successful is not making target-rich, defense-free environments out of our schools and hospitals.

If there is indeed a second shooter who survived, it will be interesting to see how many folks in state government suddenly have second thoughts on their votes to get rid of the death penalty.

If I'm sounding a little callous, it's just because I'm working my way mentally around the edges of this thing, it being far to horrible to face head on.  That and I've never been one for hysterics and "sensibility" in the Jane Austen sense of the word.  I also don't personally know anyone involved so it's a little more removed emotionally.  I really am not up for contemplating a classroom of dead kindergartners.

No comments: