Daily Reads

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Not exactly comforting

Today in the mail I got a notice from the Connecticut Department of Labour, telling me that I "have been selected to be part of the .... Enhanced Re-employment Services program". I checked this out at the department's website, and it tells me that
"The Enhanced Re-employment Services program identifies customers who are likely to exhaust their unemployment benefits before returning to the same or similar employment.  This program provides additional services to these job-seeking customers to help them get back to work more quickly."
This is NOT comforting. However, it does tempt me to send a copy of the letter to my old HR department, since they seemed to think that I would have no trouble what-so-ever finding a new job, and anyway, my skill set is so transferable. They got a deer-in-the-headlights look when I told them that a) there were no full-time library jobs within commuting distance, and b) my skills don't transfer to any jobs which pay $25/h. 

Mostly the website talks about help with resumés, employment referrals, etc., though perhaps at the orientation I will find out that they will pay for some retraining. If I could add some IT certificates, particularly in web page and database management I might be able too find something within an hour of where I live. Maybe.

No comments: