Daily Reads

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Not the news

because the news is just depressing, and we talk about it on most of the other blogs I read.

I'm on a new antibiotic, which will hopefully take care of whatever is wrong with my sinuses.  Right now I'm on clarinex (systemic antihistime), nasonex (nasal spray antihistimine) and singulair, (another systemic antihistime, specifically for allergic rhinitis).  When my GP added the singulair he also put me on a 12 day tapering course of prednisone.  My face stopped hurting, which was good, because the cheek bones were so bad that it hurt to put my head on the pillow, and I'm a side sleeper.  All of my upper teeth hurt too, including all the ones that aren't there.  However, as soon as I finished the prednisone the pain came back.  So I went to the ENT, who has put me on Levoquin, and if that doesn't work, it's off for another CT (the last one was a year and a half ago).

The real problem is that I have a massively deviated septum and the lovely boney bits from the sides, the turbinates, have decided to grow to fit all the extra space on that side.  Things are blocked enough on a good day that I can't use a neti pot because there really isn't anyplace for the water to go, meaning that breathing through my nose is almost miraculous.  I was told years ago that this sort of thing only gets worse with age, and that at some point we'd probably have to treat it surgically; it was just a question of how long we could put it off.  So.... have we reached that point yet?  I guess I'll know in another two or three weeks if the antibiotic is having any lasting effect.

On the home front, my husband had a week off, ending today, so I took off yesterday and today so we could do some stuff around the house, in particular outside.  So of course we had major weather yesterday, and high winds, so all I got done on the outside was to buy the wood for the garden frame for the pit where the previous owner tried to put in a koi pond.  It's only about 6 inches deep, because this entire area is terminal morraine, and he gave up.  So we're putting in a raised bed, wood this year, and we'll surround that with rock or brick in a year or two.  We're going to put in some butterfly bushes, and some azaleas or some everygreenish stuff, and this will also allow us to bury the guinea pigs who have died over the last year and are currently taking up half my freezer.

Yes that sounds nasty, though the kids have loved confusing classmates be talking about the corpses in the freezer without specifying what type of corpse.  I figure they're wrapped in several layers of plastic, just like all the other stuff there, and of course they're frozen solid, so it's not like dead piggie cooties are infecting the triple bagged chicken.  On the other hand, I'd like to have all my freezer back, it's not that large to begin with.

Of course we have to take a break in the middle of the afternoon to pick the girls up from their various schools and take the one to her cello lesson.  So it will be interesting to see how much actually gets done today.....

Update:  Well, I got the frame put together, with only two small gashes, both mine, and both stupid.  I have checked that my tetanus is up to date.  We went to Home Depot and got three small azaleas and a butterfly bush.  The morgue has been emptied and the piggies laid to rest under a layer of rabbit wire held down with many large rocks and (so far) several inches of dirt.  We're taking a break, and will move more of the dirt pile later.

No comments: