Daily Reads

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pleasant surprise

I woke up this morning, pleasantly surprised to see that we haven't started World War III.  Yet.

Yesterday evening while putzing about on the computer and watching "Runaway Jury", (an excellent movie, though with a definite anti-gun bias), I kept hearing helicopters.

We live near the submarine base in Groton, Connecticut, just to the side of the flight path to the local airport, which is less than a mile away.  You get used to hearing small jets flying very low overhead, to the point that during the day you don't normally even notice it.

These flights don't happen too often an night, in fact in general I think the airport closes at dusk.  Last night, betwen about 9pm and 10pm I heard helicopters, more than once.  Usually I've heard them when we're dealing with heightened security at the base or at EB or the Coast Guard Academy, such as a visiting dignitary, but that is usually during daylight hours.

I haven't heard any so far today, but it's only just past noon, so we've got plenty of time yet.

This morning has been fairly quiet, everyone has a headache/cold/allergies/miraine, but I had to go to Dunkin Donuts to return two of the bagels with cream cheese my husband had brought home.  We are always very specific that we do NOT want them toasted.  And about half the time, they are.  Husband doesn't pick them up often enough to remember that he needs to check them before he leaves the store.

It's plenty late enough that I need to get off the computer and start working on the guinea pig and rabbit cages, as well as cleaning the kitchen and bathroom.  I want to be able to wash the floor tonight, as well as sit at the table for dinner.

No comments: